Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ramadan Night 25 - The Fourth Entry



Woe to every
(Kind of) scandal-monger
And backbiter,
Who pileth up wealth
And layeth it by,
Thinking that his wealth
Would make him last
For ever!
S.104 A.1-4

I have to sort this verse out carefully. I am not sure I had reached the status of "scandal-monger" or "backbiter", but I did deal in gossip and negativity. And though I never piled up any wealth to speak of, I guess I gained other kinds of capital through my actions, other types of political advantage.  Those ill-gotten gains did not curry me long-term favor or benefit, much as this verse says. I will think more closely about what I am trying to acquire, why, and by what means. What I want, why I want it, how I will choose to get it?  Good questions! 

No comments:

Post a Comment