Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ramadan Night 17



Those who do not hope
To meet Us
(For Judgment) say:
"Why are not the angels
Sent down to us, or
(Why) do we not see
Our Lord?" Indeed they
Have an arrogant conceit
Of themselves, and mighty
Is the insolence of their impiety!
S.25 A.21

This is a very straightforwad verse that reminds me of man's arrogance, and mine.  I can remember challenging God to show me a sign, even to punish me if He cared to.  I don't think I was angry with God, maybe just spiritually empty, wanting any kind of connection to fill the void.  I am sure I made these demands shortly after I had asked Him for the relief of some kind of pain or calamity, and not finding the answer I wanted, I struck out as a child.  I never understood that my relationship with God was not to be manipulated as were my other relationships - I did not know how to humble myself, how to prepare my heart.
I think there is also a more subtle message here too, that of trying to assimilate God's word into your life - taking what is convenient, deemphasizng that which is not; following favorable signs and ignoring those that appear to be less fruitful or attractive. I am constantly guilty of that, and my particular focus this Ramadan is to work on the more difficult aspects demanded by God.  I have also learned the difference between lamenting the few blessings I am denied, and recognizing the multitude I have enjoyed.  I should be better at this given the suffering I have seen in the world, I should be far more thankful to God realizing how fortunate I have been, having given so little back to Him.
I have heard angels, and I have seen God, just not in the sense a weak human demands.  His work is all about us.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment