Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Ramadan Night 25 - The Ninth Entry



Say: O ye
That reject faith!
I worship not that
Which ye worship,
Nor will ye worship
That which I worship.
And I will not worship
That which ye have been
Wont to worship
Nor will ye worship
That which I worship.
S.109 A.1-5

I never know how these suras will effect me, truly.  I found this to be so beautiful, so full of compassion and respect. I would like to have this with me, always, when I hear people talk so definitely about the intolerance of Islam.  Moreover, I longed to hear something like this when I had lost my faith, and needed time to myself to reexamine my beliefs.  I was never given such a gracious dispensation in this culture - I was told I was confused, misguided, even doomed to hell, but I was never told I had the right to be where I was, as long as I did so privately. 
There is a great deal of wisdom in this sura - obviously the word of God is not naturally in all of our hearts, if it was, we would need no prophets or guidance.  We all come to God on our own paths, and those paths are not always direct.  I have mentioned before that I always felt a dignified respect from Muslims before I converted, as I did not malign their faith, or try to force mine upon them.  This is another wonderful example where I find in the Koran the words I have seen written on Muslim hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment