Friday, August 19, 2011

Ramadan Night 22



Then did they taste
The evil result of
Their conduct, and the end
Of their conduct
Was perdition.
S.65 A.9

I often wonder about people that I see in the world who appear to be evil, or at least, do consistently evil things.  I wonder if they enjoy what they are doing, or if they think about the path they are undertaking.  To be honest, sometimes when that evil is a little to close to me, I take little comfort in the knowledge that they will pay for it eventually when finally judged.  This verse does remind me though, that they will face the consequences of their actions. 
Sometimes I wonder if evil people always know they are evil.  If not, then I have a whole lot more to think about. If evil people don't realize they are evil, then how do I know I am not evil, or at least, I do not do evil things?  I think it is a fair question. I know this sounds odd, but how confident can any of us be that when we are judged, we will prevail over a lifetime of sins and mistakes?  So now, evil has a different context for me - no longer fretting over the evil of others, but making sure my thoughts, my words, my actions are pure, and the consequences thereof are not harmful.  I never have contemplated whether or not I was evil, or that my actions were either.  Perhaps it is time to start reevaluating.

No comments:

Post a Comment