Sunday, August 21, 2011

Ramadan Night 23 - The Thirteenth Entry



By the sky
And the night-visitant
(Therein):
And what will explain to thee
What the night-visitant is?
(It is) the star
Of piercing brightness;
There is no soul but has
A protector over it.
Now let man but think
From what he is created!
S.86 A.1-5
I am not sure if this is referring to a particular star, but it is a lovely parable. The star is God's word, a signal fire in the darkest of our nights, strong and steady, beckoning us forward. Far enough to humble our vain aspirations and near enough to illuminate our path.  I have seen this star this month, and I have seen it brighten day by day as I read my Koran. I can look out into the summer eve, and find my star - a little larger, a little more lustrous than its peers, solid in the sky, a constant and unwavering beacon for my soul.    

3 comments:

  1. i have a "friend" whom i would steal your last sentence to describe.He is among people exactly what your star is among its peers...:)g

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is amazing how you can take something as awkward as I write and respond to it so lyrically :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am inspired by my great "friend"...:)g

    ReplyDelete