Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ramadan Night 19 - The Sixth Entry



Do they not travel
Through the earth and see
What was the end
Of those before them?
They were superior
To them in strength,
And in the traces (they
Have left) in the land:
But God did call them
To account for their sins,
And none had they
To defend them against God.
S.40 A.21

I related to this verse, having been a history major years ago. I studied ancient Mediterranean civilizations in graduate school, and as I read the passage I could visualize the ruins of dozens of cultures, dozens of dynasties. I had studied how great they were, how progressive their ideas and policies were, and how mighty and dominant their influence was.  But they are all gone.  The lesson is not lost on me.
I suppose it would be easier if God would just tell us the minute we begin to go astray - we could constantly readjust to his expectations.  If that were the case however, we would be no more than glorified pets.  We have the awesome responsibility to work towards God on our own volition, using the tools He has provided for us.  We have the Koran and we have Hadith to guide us.  We have each other for feedback, if we are responsible.  
I wonder when these old civilizations lost their path. Surely there were men of faith to inform and guide them?   I wonder if it was sheer freedom that let them drift so far. Without a series of successive approximations, they may have mistaken their freedom for God's approval or His apathy. Perhaps there were sages among them that  knew it was a matter of time before judgement came, perhaps they underestimated God's patience.  
I think this applies to individuals as well.  How far can we move away from God before we realize our peril, or before we are judged finally? How do we recognize the signs?  Are hubris, arrogance, even complacence terminal indicators?  I think of this often, as I become more successful, hoping to keep my path, the proper attitudes and behaviors aligned.  I imagine as a culture, even as an individual, that it might be easy to confuse material success with God's blessing, even His approval.  This will be an issue I will have to work with for a long time I think.    

No comments:

Post a Comment