Sunday, August 14, 2011

Ramadan Night 17 - The Second Entry



"I am to you a messenger
Worthy of all trust
So fear Allah and obey me.
No reward do I ask
Of you for it: my reward
Is only from the Lord
Of the Worlds.
Give just measure,
And cause no loss
(To others by fraud)
And weigh with scales
True and upright.
And withold not things
Justly due to men,
Nor do evil in the land,
Working mischief.
And fear Him Who created
You and (Who created)
The generations before (you).
S.26 A.178-184

These words were delivered by Shu'aib, an early prophet following Abraham.  There is so much in this verse, it is hard to know where to start. Sadly, but so predictably, the next verse details the people's rejection of this message.  
"No reward do I ask" brings so much to mind.  I think of leaders (not all) of other faiths who grow rich and prosperous on the word of God.  Not that it is bad to be prosperous, but it shouldn't be quid pro quo for the message.  I understand why some people of faith take a vow of  poverty, not wanting to complicate their walk with God, not wanting to profit from His word. This theme of reward also makes me think of man's vanity as well. I should not publicly proclaim my faith in order to elevate my status or piety in the eyes of others, basking in the refracted light of my self-righteousness.  There is a balance here, between being a pious Muslim and understanding where the true source of reward will come from.
The rest of this passage depresses me a bit - the admonition seems so clear, so self-evident that a good person would recognize its worth and embrace it. The fact that it was rejected makes a telling point about human nature - we may not be naturally good or just. There is no great sacrifice demanded here, nor is there an arduous task required.  There is simply a decent path laid down, one that should appeal to us all.  Perhaps the type of reward we seek cannot be realized honestly, and must be gained at the expense of others.
In a few lines, God has drawn a clear blueprint for me, prescribing my morality, and reminding me where I should look for my rewards. Imagine a world where everyone could follow these simple words, content in the fact that any selfish gain deferred improves the community and is magnified in Heaven. 

No comments:

Post a Comment