Monday, August 15, 2011

Ramadan Night 18 - The Fifth Entry


Say: Verily my Lord enlarges
And restricts the sustenance
To such of His servants
As He pleases: and nothing
Do ye spend in the least
(In His cause) but He
Replaces it: for He is
The best of those who
Grant sustenance.
S.34 A.39

I have discussed the goodness and decency God had placed in my heart all those years ago.  I have also shared that I have long felt the desire to help others, particularly those less fortunate than I.  What I had not contemplated is that God's gifts to me were always meant to be shared, and then equitably replenshed. I was always the middle man and never realized it!
Giving that which was not mine to hoard, is a new concept for me.  I took credit for the motive, the allocation of good deeds, the odd sacrifice.  I thanked God for the blessings he bestowed on me, but never thought to praise him for the gift of giving - and after all, it was giving that brought me the most satisfaction, the closest I felt to God.  I am startled that it took me this long to put it all together.  I am slow, but I sometimes get there. 

2 comments:

  1. This is particularly important to remember at this time of year - Ramadaan, a month of giving. It is a wonderful, pure feeling to give, honestly and sincerely. Without any thoughts of 'getting'. Knowing with our Lord is our final recompense.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree, and I must get down to the mosque this week and give Zakat Al-Fitr. Thank you for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete