Monday, August 22, 2011

Ramadan Night 24



Other faces that day
Will be joyful,
Pleased with their striving,
In a garden on high,
Where they shall hear
No (word) of vanity
Therein will be
A bubbling spring
Therein will be thrones
(Of dignity), raised on high,
Goblets placed (ready),
And cushions set in rows,
And rich carpets
(All) spread out.
S.88 A.8-16

This is such a reassuring and inspiring verse. It touches me at three different levels: I love the imagery of heaven; I am motivated by the concept of "striving" rather than "toiling"; and am admonished once again to embrace dignity and to resist vanity.  Everything in this passage reminds me of what I am preparing for, not what I am waiting for - I am not passing time on earth in order to get to heaven, I am making myself worthy. Everything I practice here makes my world a better place, brings me closer to the souls of others.  This goodness I develop in my heart resonates in heaven; as I navigate my days with God's guidance I feel His grace, and at night my mind rests in His garden. He has placed enough of heaven in my heart for me to embrace the journey.

2 comments:

  1. May Allah grant you a seat in that high garden where you will be blessed with all these joys, you and all your beloved ones.:)g

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for that gracious sentiment! May Allah bless you and your family.

    ReplyDelete