Monday, August 15, 2011

Ramadan Night 18 - The Fourth Entry



We did indeed offer
The trust to the heavens
And  the earth
And the mountains;
But they refused
To undertake it,
Being afraid thereof:
But man undertook it;
He was indeed unjust
And foolish
S.33 A.72
 
I never thought of the price we (humans) would have to pay to be closest of all of God's creations. I knew we were blessed (either by a deity or evolution) in our distance from nature, and like many, focused instead on the rights and privileges accorded to our rank. I also measured the responsibility, albeit pedantically as our Buddhist friends assert, of a caretaker tasked with the welfare of another. I did not turn my gaze the other way, did not think of closing the distance between me and my Lord.  Given the awareness of God though, we task ourselves to please Him, to be worthy of the distinction.  It is an awesome responsibility, and I can understand, but not condone, why some people reject the word of God, preferring to deny His existence rather than facing the shame of their failed covenant. As for me, I feel better with this knowledge. Instead of judging my failures and shortcomings in the context of simple compliance to an imposed set of rules, I recognized that these sins and errors are feedback in my developing embrace of God.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment