Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ramadan Night 20 - The Tenth Post



For they said: "What!
A man! a solitary one
From among ourselves!
Shall we follow such a one?
Truly should we then be
In error and madness.
Is this the message
Is sent to him,
Or all people amongst us?
Nay, he is a liar,
An insolent one!"
S.54 A24-25

I understand this was the reaction to the Prophet Mohammed (pbuh), and I can imagine how revolutionary the concept was at the time.  I also wonder if I would have had the wisdom and courage to recognize and follow him if I was a contemporary.  I'd like to think so, but then again, I haven't always lived a wise and courageous life.  I also wonder if I had recognized the fact, if I would have risked my life to follow.  In this world we think we face challenges, but they pale significantly to those of our ancestors.  I can't imagine dropping everything I own to follow God's Prophet.  They must have been extraordinary men, perhaps that is why God chose to reveal his Messenger to them.
The message for me now is more complex I think. I love being a Muslim for many reasons, not least of which is the demand that I learn and interpret my own faith responsibly, not to follow a central living figure in this world. I may not follow a central figure, but I do consult with others for spiritual guidance - here is where I am challenged.  Many Muslims interpret things differently than do I, and I have to have the wisdom and courage to sort out the differences.  There are men and women who can help me in my studies, who can help me with my path. There are also those who can mislead me.  This is another aspect of free will that I must contend with.
I wish more people read the Koran,  I wish they understood its beauty and its justice.  I wish they would read it to understand that we are all tasked by God to follow His word, and that we are obliged to follow no living man, no false prophet.  If they did, I think they wouldn't be so quick to stereotype our motives, to nominate and elect our "leaders." 

No comments:

Post a Comment