Monday, August 22, 2011

Ramadan Night 24 - The Third Entry



And what will explain
To thee the path that is steep?
(It is) freeing the bondman;
Or giving of food
In a day of privation
To the orphan
With claims of relationship,
Or to the indigent
(Down) in the dust.
Then will he be
Of those who believe,
And enjoin patience, (constancy,
And self-restraint), and enjoin
Deeds of kindness and compassion.
Such are the companions of the Right Hand.
S.90 A.12-18

"Down in the dust" - I remember finding my dignity in the dust of a refugee camp in Yemen. I was entertaining some children, many of them orphans, one evening by drawing words and phrases in the sandy dust on the ground outside of my tent. I was down there with the children, no mind for propriety or hygiene, just communing with some kids in their element. I learned then that dignity had nothing to do with elevation, rather the relative grace with which you can communicate with anyone in any place.  Deeds of kindness and compassion are not done at a distance; noblesse oblige is an intimate act meant not only to convey courtesy and charity, but to lay aside division and  caste.  I want to be at the place in my life where I no longer do things "for" people, but "with" them - whatever trinket or gesture I spare is dwarfed by God's rich reward to my heart - baubles for blessings, God is indeed Great. For if I am not careful, it may not be those that I affiliate with naturally, but the less fortunate that we may  neglect, that will ultimately constitute the "companions of the Right Hand."  

 

No comments:

Post a Comment