Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ramadan Night 20 - The Second Entry



We created not
The heavens and the earth
And all between them
But for just ends, and
For a term appointed:
But those who reject faith
Turn away from that
Whereof they are warned.
S.46 A.3

I have been thinking a great deal about nature as I read everyday.  I have also been thinking about the relationship between God, nature, and man. Reading back through my posts, it occured to me that I found the evidence of God in nature, in its glory, majesty, and beauty.  This verse has added a different perspective to me, and I hope I can articulate it here.  "For a term appointed" means that everything, except God's word, is temporary, fleeting - even the rivers, oceans, and mountains will disappear.  Everything but God's word!
Nature is still an evidence of God for me, but in a much different way.  I don't think it is the existence of these marvelous creations that brings God to mind to me, but the inner pleasure I feel, the incredible sense of the aesthetic appeal of these physical manifestations that murmurs through my heart that connects me to God.  We (humans) alone have been blessed with this gift, and it is one of the many God has granted us in reward for our pious adherence to the awesome responsibilities He has charged us with.  Nothing else in His domain realizes these treasures, nor the pain of not deserving them.
I have read with pleasure the major philosophers. I have read their explanations of the creation of the earth and all that is in it.  I have read their theories of the complex nature of man.  What I have not read is any compelling account of the beauty I feel in my heart  when their words touch me and remind me of the glory of God and His universe.  There I find God, in the gentle receptive folds of my heart. 

No comments:

Post a Comment