Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Eid Mubarak




It is Eid, alhamdulila!  For the first time in my five years as a Muslim, I did not wish the holiday to come too quickly - I really enjoyed Ramadan, fasting, reading, writing, and my fellowship with many of you.  I am so blessed this year, and I am very thankful to God and my Muslim community.  In most years, I suppose I would be very down about my present circumstances, but not this year.  I have been refocused on my blessings, and they are many!
It may sound suspicious and strange, but I have really made some great strides these past thirty days, maybe even some life changes. I move through my days as a Muslim man now, not only thinking about my conduct, but enjoying the feeling I have as I treat myself and others with respect. I don't feel self-righteous, nor do I compare myself with others - I simply feel good in my own skin for the first time in my life.  I don't feel the need to boast about my new condition, but I do enjoy the few discussions I have with others who are genuinely interested in my faith.  
This Eid is so much more than the culmination of a holy month for me this year. It is the turning point of my life - there have been so many transitions lately, and my faith has brought things together for me.  I am no longer chasing anything, nor am I running from anything else.  I will be happy and grateful no matter where I am, and I pray that Allah keeps or puts me into the right environment to capitalize on my talents and passions.  I can make a difference anywhere, and I will with His grace.
I am smiling now, knowing how slow I am sometimes.  I am thinking about the happiness in my heart, and how so many Muslims have know this for their lifetimes, how every Eid is so profound and joyous, and how I can look forward to such things for the rest of my life.  Now that I have the same things in my heart, I can't wait for Ramadan next year, can't wait to share this with my Muslim brothers and sisters!

4 comments:

  1. May Peace Be With You always Michael. Naima

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much - you too sis! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Michael, I am so happy for you, that you feel that inner peace. Maybe you were finally ready to accept it. You have always been such an amazing person, maybe now you can see what some of us have seen in you all along. Robin B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you Robin, you don't know how much your words mean to me. Making my way around the world, I occasionally meet wonderful people like you, and to know I have your respect is very heart-warming. Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete