Sunday, August 7, 2011

Sunsets

I have been fortunate, I have seen thousands of sunsets all over the world.  I've seen them in Jamaica, Hawaii, San Francisco, Seattle, New York City, London, Paris, Amman, Aqaba, Dahab, Cairo, Alexandria, Niagra Falls, Chicago, Zanzibar, Lake Victoria, Nairobi, Masai Mara, Kampala, Ruhengari, Addis Ababa, Kilimanjaro, Wyoming, and hundreds of other beautiful places. I have seen them on safari, tracking mountain gorillas over volcanoes, on dozens of beaches, on cross-counrty treks, from the windows of airplanes, in the middle of deserts, on the tops of rolling plains. I have seen them tangle themselves in rainbows over the Jordan River valley.  I have seen them with friends, and I have seen them with lovers, and I have borne solitary witness to countless others.  But I am not sure I have ever really appreciated a sunset, not sure I treasured that brief moment when the sky kisses the earth, and the affection radiates warmly with God's blessing.  I am not sure I have ever taken myself to my knees to ask forgiveness in the presence of this redemptive grace, this nightly promise of a better day, a day to live decently, a day to be a good man.  I will look at sunsets differently now, and I will not betray the covenant that each new evening brings.

5 comments:

  1. Do you know how beautifully you write? This is art. This is a reflection of a beautiful soul. God bless you Morsches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How humbling, thank you so much. I am trying to put words to that which is in my heart, trying to finally make my blueprint with God.

    ReplyDelete
  3. very poetic, very beautiful...:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. WOW...very well expressed Michael..It is so impressive how at a certain point in our life we start to see, perceive and grasp things differently, more beautifully and meaningfully. It is amazing how we are able to explain, to a certain extent, everything happens around us. There are several beautiful things like your sunsets Michael..

    ReplyDelete