Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Ramadan Night 20 - The Ninth Entry



These are nothing but names
Which ye have devised,
Ye and your fathers,
For which Allah has sent
Down no authority (whatever).
They follow nothing but
Conjecture and what
The souls desire!
Even though there has already
Come to them guidance
From their Lord!
S.53 A.23

Of course these things we name are no longer idols or graven images, they are more contemporary distractions.  And although we don't profess them to be sacred and holy, we treat them as if they were.
Sports teams, athletes,  heroes, politicians, false prophets, true prophets, none are to replace God, nor are they be set in competition for our love, respect, and faithfulness. We cannot also elevate money, the pursuit of money, power, fame, lust, or any other false desires to the honest and true desires of our souls. As a Muslim this should be clear to me - I have been warned, and I am called to prayer five times daily to ground me and to remind me that it is He who I serve, He who I adore, He who I place above all others.  I have no excuse to raise my own false needs and to name them, I have been warned and I am supported.

No comments:

Post a Comment