Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ramadan Night 23 - The Fifth Entry



The day that
The spirit and the angels
Will stand forth in ranks,
None shall speak
Except any who is
Permitted by The Most Gracious,
And he will say
What is right.
That is the True Day:
Therefore, whoso will, let him
Take a (straight) return
To his Lord!
S.78 A.38-39

This True Day is the day I practice for every evening, when I challenge my day after sunset.  I want to look at the day's behaviors and thoughts critically and to account for them responsibily before I sleep.  This is a a good test, to look at my deeds honestly, not to rationalize or defend them. I like doing this before I sleep each night, I like the clarity it gives me.  It is good reminder that I will need to do this again, for very serious stakes.  For now, it helps me clear the day and to reinvigorate myself for the coming day and its challenges. 
Most of all, for now, it prepares me for that later portion of the night when I want to lay my head on my pillow and slip into the night peacefully, dreaming of the promise of a new day.

No comments:

Post a Comment