Monday, August 22, 2011

Ramadan Night 24 - The Second Entry



Nay, nay! But ye
Honour not the orphans!
Nor do ye encourage
One another
To feed the poor!
S.89 A.17-18

I think this verse refers to more than just the obvious obligations we have to orphans and the poor.  Unfortunately, there are many in the world that don't seem to see this basic duty, and they need the admonishment of God to move their hearts, or at least their checkbooks.  I think about class, station, and socioeconomic status when I read this. I don't think we are pedantic providers for the unfortunate, rather I believe we need to reach out at all levels, not just dispensing food from a safe distance, but truly  acknowledging our brothers and sisters. It is not enough for me to drop off a check for zakat al fitr at my mosque,  if its recipients are invisible or repulsive to me elsewhere.  We feed mouths, and we feed hearts and minds too!  
During this holy month, how many souls are hungry for companionship, even the gracious embrace of a handshake? Or the obliging respect of eye contact?  Simple gestures lost in the slipstream of man's conceited detachment. It is not enough for me to be thankful this month for my blessings, if I neglect the greatest blessing of all, the humanity I have in my heart for others.    

No comments:

Post a Comment