Saturday, August 20, 2011

Ramadan Night 23 - The Fourth Entry



By the (winds) sent forth
One after another
(To man's profit),
Which then blow violently
In tempestuous gusts,
And scatter (things)
Far and wide,
Then separate them,
One from another,
Then spread abroad
A reminder,
Whether of justification
Or of warning,
Assuredly, what ye are
Promised must come to pass.
S.77 A.1-7

The wind is the word of God - it is a boon and it is an omen, it will separate the wheat from the chaff, and the good among us from the evil.  Winds bring nourishing rain, and they usher in storms and hurricanes.  They are comforting and they can be terrible and destructive.  We can no more ignore the word of God than the winds that herald a summer rain or a winter gale.  When we are just and chaste, we stand humbly in the face of a gentle breeze that cools our skin and buoys our spirits - when we are false and base, we cower helplessly in timorous  awe of  the tempest engulfing us.  I want to heed God's word, I don't want to face the wrath of his vengeful winds.

2 comments:

  1. I love this. The feeling of a cool summers breeze is so beautiful. I always count my blessings when I feel a calming breeze.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that is always the case for you, a cool summer breeze in your hair :)

    ReplyDelete