Saturday, August 6, 2011

Robin and Grant, Grant and Robin, or Maybe Rant and Gob(l)in?

I couldn't figure out who should get top billing, so I hope this dual listing will be adequate - wouldn't want to put anymore fuel on this fire. And please pardon the two portmanteaus, couldn't resist.  Seriously, I worked with Robin and Grant for two years, and I don't think I have ever worked with two finer professionals, anywhere I have been.  They should have been brother and sister though, and I enjoyed the sibling rivalry.
We worked together in what wasn't the best environment I had ever landed in;  Robin  in the same office area as  I, and Grant in the building adjacent to ours.  We spent a lot of time together, and I enjoyed every minute of it. I can honestly say I don't remember ever having a cross word with either of them, but then again, their memory might be better than mine.  We worked on dozens of projects together, often under pressure, and they always went the extra mile, even when their efforts weren't always noticed or appreciated. In a sea of facile faculty pedantically espousing student welfare, these two were beacons in the fog, the real deal.
Robin was extremely passionate about her job, her avocation.  She looked after everything and everyone with an honest zeal that sometimes got her in trouble, but never for the benefit of her own interests - she often put the department on her shoulders, whether or not it wanted to be there.  There was never a time when she did not pull her weight, when she was not on top of things, when she ever let something slip past her.  She had the complex task of working with budgets and schedules and she did a very fine job.  She took care of me as well, and I am not sure if she was my older sister or my mother, but I was doted on, nagged a bit, and cared for. I miss Robin, even miss the nurturing, but I don't think I will admit the latter.
Grant worked in a different building, but our roles overlapped constantly. Grant was my go-to guy, and I always knew he would  deliver on any task.  He was still developing professionally, and I was amazed at his energy and desire to develop his knowledge and skill set.  I not only bounced ideas off of him, we often brainstormed new plans, new programs, and he had a great deal of insight. Grant also had a very keen sense of integrity, and I could count on him to give me honest feedback, whether it was difficult or not.  Sadly, after I left, a very weak and vindictive faculty exacted partial vengeance on him, punishing him for working with me.  He weathered the storm though, as do men of faith and virtue. 
When I think back on those two years, I remember a lot of smiles and laughter.  I remember two people who never sank to the lethargy and malaise of many of their peers. When I think of the concept of responsible loyalty, I look no further than to Robin and Grant.  I would have trusted them with my life, with those of my children.  I cannot say that about many people.  I miss their good natured bickering, and I miss the microcosm we navigated together, loving each day of work with these two colleagues.   

3 comments:

  1. Thank you! I miss having you around. It was easy to have desire and a passion for learning with a great example around. You have always been a great mentor, thank you!
    -goblin (or weasel, to be more accurate

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't know how many times I have wished you were still there working with Grant. He had an entirely different demeanor related to his work when you were there. I think you were the first supervisor of his (and so far the last) who actually saw his worth and potential. I could tell that work was challenging for him when you were around, but he was also inspired and ambitious. I loved seeing him that way. I thank you for being such a good mentor and boss to my husband.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grant, didn't want to use that particular nom de guerre :) Jocelyn, you are welcome, and I have to say what a lucky man Grant is having you in his corner!

    ReplyDelete