Tuesday, June 2, 2015

Two For Tuesday

Today was my first day at the local village schools of Saint Laurent and Pere Laurent. I had negotiated this last week and I was a bit nervous to see if things would come through today - given that I just popped in on them and that I do not speak their languages. To my delight, they were waiting for me and the day went very well. I spent the first hour with four teachers who will participate in a Teaching and Learning Academy. We then went into the classroom and practiced some  of the techniques we had discussed. I had to earn my chops today, however, as I was promoting the advantages of student engagement in language learning. When I got to the class, there were maybe forty teenagers eager and happy to be engaged - too happy:


It went well, although they were rambunctious at times. I had to go deep into my tool bag today, but I must say they did a great job and we were able to get to some complex structures at the end of two hours. I did break them into groups and the teachers took them outside to relieve the congestion:


We covered introduction and all sorts of questions. I am starting to key in on their pronunciation issues given they are French speakers and it is helping me anticipate difficulties. After a few hours, I walked back to the UN facility to rest and catch some AC. I returned to the school in the afternoon to work with a different group of students. It was a smaller group and they were even more motivated and somewhat less boisterous. I was very proud of them. At the end of the day, both groups decided we would form an English Club on Sunday afternoons, and I got a thunderous applause. I am looking forward to working with these kids and exploring the craft of teaching with their instructors:


I am walking about more here in Zongo and I am getting more comfortable taking pictures. I have a lot to learn about photography though.

















This is the Land of Pals!





On my way to the school in the morning, laborers were digging this ditch by hand. It is vital to have these two trenches on either side of the road for flood control. But before the water could come, these children decided to fill it


A cool little house I pass each day


The street is lined with these little shops selling just about anything you could imagine. Under the boards in front of the building lies the irrigation ditch


Having fun in the front yard after school




As I mentioned, I am working on my camera skills. There is a slight delay between the moment I press the button and when the picture snaps. Add to this to my poor knowledge of the game of soccer (not being able to anticipate things), there is little wonder there is no soccer ball in this picture :)
 

It was another good day because of the spirit of the people here. Lots of laughter and kindness. I move about with bonjour, bonsoir, and merci. I am always surprised and delighted by their reactions - very genuine people!

3 comments:

  1. Don't apologize for your photography; you capture wonderful moments of beautiful people. I like the boys-in-action photo best---no ball needed! Tres bien! (add to your repertoire)

    ReplyDelete