Wednesday, June 17, 2015

A Long Day Got Longer and Better

I started my day at 7am with an English lesson for the UNHCR staff. That is always a great prelude for the rest of the day. We had a late start to the camp as there were to be several dedication ceremonies for the hospital, primary school, and basketball court. Lessons went well and at the end of the day, the English Club took me back out into the fields for another agricultural session. We went to Scholastique's garden and spent an hour or so in the hot sun identifying terms. It was a hot, humid day that was destined to get longer. When we returned to the camp, I found out Yaya had been sent to pick up some other colleagues - he came back a few hours later. While I was looking for him, the police commander (stationed at the top of the hill overlooking the camp) invited me to his house for a bottled fruit drink. That resurrected my evening! Yaya eventually came by and we left for Zongo. Halfway there we lost an engine belt. We weren't stranded as along as I feared and rolled back to the compound around 7pm. I shared with Yaya some of the string beans the ladies had given me and came in to a nice meal of fish and bananas. Looking through the day's pictures and writing these brief posts is a wonderful conclusion to a productive day!


As Teddy, Juliette, and Saint Fort are taking over more of the teaching duties, I am trying to get out to explore different parts of the camps. In doing so, I came across these nice lunch ladies - unsung heroes in my book :)


They make and serve lunches to hundreds of young children





The children eat this warm and nutritious food many ways :)



More Girl Power!




There is certainly no dearth of sharp dressers here!


On the way out to the garden, stopping to help some sisters out



Another contextualized lesson in agriculture


Edurge, the camp committee president, taking copious notes - notice the endorsement on her shirt



The English Club 


On the way back, the young ladies return the favor for an old, hot, white guy





Pals


Nuff said!


It is amazing how far a little initiative and caring goes in an environment imbued with good faith! They think my energy is a gift to them - it is a gift from them :)

4 comments:

  1. This is so heart warming. Lovely pictures - especially of you with the kids.
    What grows in the gardens ?

    And Ramadan Kareem Michael.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice most of the kids have such glowing shiny skin! What do they use ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you :) They grow corn,peanuts, cassava, lettuce, carrots, cucumbers, tomatoes, green beans, green peppers, hot peppers, pineapples, bananas, plantains, papaya, and many other things. It is amazing, You would love it here. Ramadan Kareem :)
    They bathe a few times a day and have a good diet. Yesterday, the police commander showed me aloe vera in his garden, perhaps they use that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. great papa/gran-pere photos, Michael :?)
    JC

    ReplyDelete