Thursday, June 4, 2015

Everything Is Set

Today I returned to my Thursday site and we finally settled the timetable. My weekly schedule now looks like this:

Monday
7-8 Staff English Lessons Zongo
Mole Camp
10-12 English lessons
12-3 English Club

Tuesday
Saint Laurent school, Zongo
9-10 Teaching Academy
10-12 English lessons
3-5 English Lessons

Wednesday
7-8 Staff English Lessons Zongo
Mole Camp
10-12 English lessons
12-3 English Club

Thursday
Nzulu school, Zongo
9-11 Teaching Academy
11-12 English lessons
4-6 English Club

Friday
7-8 Staff English Lessons Zongo
Mole Camp
10-12 English lessons
12-3 English Club

Saturday
Mole Camp
10-1 Teaching Academy

Sunday
 4-6 English Club, Saint Laurent school

*M,W,F,S include three hours commuting time to the camp

I met with more new students today and it was a lot of fun. Their English levels were low, but they were very earnest and respectful. It is a wonderful program, as I work with the teachers first then bring them together in a laboratory setting with the students. This allows me to help shift some of the teachers'  priorities to more engaging activities. I am also amazed that these Congolese teachers can follow the theoretical aspects in their fourth language. Bright people!


A nice look out over the school playground. This area is very large and is swept meticulously everyday


The teachers are practicing a new, friendlier technique


I am a sucker for trees and kids


Popping in on a first grade class feeling like a celebrity :)


Did I say celebrity? I meant rock star!


Stopping in the middle of the street to practice my Lingala - Mbote (hello), Sango nini? (how are you?), Sango te (no new news to report), Nkombo na yo nini? (what is your name?), Nkombo na ngai Michael


Girl Power!


The town flour (cassava) mill


I should have known that if I pressed deeply enough into the market, I would find a tub of snails in this French speaking country


I am truly blessed to be here in so many ways. The people are wonderful, the UNHCR is very supportive, and we are building the infrastructure to provide sustainability for these programs once I leave. I shouldn't be this lucky, but I am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment