Thursday, June 18, 2015

First Day Of Ramadan - Good Karma Already!

I was a bit worried about this first day of Ramadan - Thursdays are my hot days as I walk more than six miles back and forth from the Nzulu Institute. It was warm today, but there was a nice breeze and intermittent shade along the way. I started my morning by stopping at the market to change some US dollars. I still haven't figured out the system, other than I pay a huge "tax" cashing up here away from the capitol. When I received my change, it seemed as if it was too much. I tried to explain but he didn't understand me. I left with the money resolved to check with Pelagie or Michel when I returned to the UN compound. It bothered me throughout the day and I was happy that I could go back around noon time, despite the extra three miles it caused. When I returned, I found out that he had indeed overcompensated me! He gave me change for a $50 instead of a $20. After I cleaned up and cooled off, I headed back to the market. When I came in the store, he was on the phone. He looked up and was surprised muttering "c'est la vie."  I knew at that moment he had realized the mistake earlier in the day. I put the extra money up on the counter and he smiled warmly saying "merci beaucoup."  He didn't even bother counting the money. I nodded, shook his hand and left smiling. I was smiling because the day before I had overpaid for some school supplies at the camp for the kids. When I returned to the store, the owner graciously let me exchange a smaller bill for the larger I had mistakenly given him. A nice full circle. Africa loves circles :)
When I got home tonight, I had a wonderful surprise waiting for me - cheese! Another luxury from across the river in Bangui. Processed cheese, but cheese nonetheless. I celebrated with sun tea, rice, and chicken. Later, I will sneak into the kitchen and pilfer some bread for a late night snack.
I walk when I can here so that more and more people get to know me. It is essential that the residents here understand that these international agencies care about them as well as the displaced refugees that have made their way to this community. I get a lot of Mondaley Mbote, White Guy Hello, from the kids and it is always said sweetly. Today as I passed some twenty-something men at a shop, one called out to me, Hey Papa wait. He came over, bent down, pointed to my open shoe lace, then tied it for me. I was humbled. I greet everyone I see and I am always pleased by the reaction. I could never do this back home. I sputter about in English, French, Lingala, and Swahili. Other than getting change efficiently, I am managing well with human capital.  Speaking of human capital, a few pics:


The Bethlehem motorcycle shop is open for business


Money to burn, Chicago swag, and a cool oil truck


Everyday, we have scores of children looking in from outside as we continue our teacher training. Often, the teachers shoo them away. We have a new policy now - they are welcome to come in and watch if they are quiet. We have plenty of takers


One night I will stop and buy an ear


Kids are everywhere


The bricks have cured, time to start building


The cassava mill is one of my favorite hangouts


The corn ladies are a shy lot, not as timid as the peanut ladies though, who I am yet to capture


Putting together a new motorcycle out of a crate


Joesphat and Jean Baptist are slowly taking over the reins of the English Club at Nzulu! We are working on smiling and praising today and Josephat did a great job


Two young ladies front and center at the English Club


I am always tempted to ask these young ladies if they get good reception :)  Seriously, I love how the children do their hair here


Babies happily toting babies


Some of the regular tagalongs with the English Club


Beginning a peaceful walk home


Another favorite stop is at the house of Miss the Cat. When I come by and ask the mother, "Miss wapi?" she yells out "Miss" and the cat comes scurrying out of the house to the chagrin of the chickens and ducks nearby. Miss is patient and loyal 



This is my walk, smiles upon smiles upon smiles


Three lovely young ladies


Chasing the sun back home


The sun setting over Bangui - land of Coca Cola, cheese, and sometimes dolls


Yes Ramadan started well! I cleared my conscience, received a wonderful gesture in the street, ate some cheese, and heard from an old friend. Things are good :) Alhamdulilah

3 comments:

  1. That is absolutely wonderful. How I'd love to be able to join you for that walk.

    Enjoy young man.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Salam Michael. Ramadan Kareem! God be with you during this holy month as you continue to spread kindness, comfort and hope to these smiling children.

    Manal K :)

    ReplyDelete