Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Warm Day

It was a very warm day today, and I did a lot of walking around town. I woke up with a summer cold that did not please me. On Tuesdays I work at a local Catholic school that reminds me of my early days teaching high school. I laughed as I realized how much is going on with these kids! Both the girls and the boys have a lot of energy and there is a whole world of social dynamics going on between them. These students want to be in the class (at least I think they do) and they are still sometimes a handful. We ebb and flow and I do manage to teach them some English. They are bright and eager and at the end of the day, grateful. In the middle however, who knows what is going on in those young minds?
Here are a few pictures from Zongo:


The girls came early today and wanted their pictures taken by a tree in the courtyard. It felt like senior picture day


These young ladies ranged from being helpful and enthusiastic to bickering with the boys and being sullen (then back again)


She sat quietly in the courtyard playing a game in the grass by herself where she tossed a rock in the air then picked up pens and other objects


The Catholic church I work at on Tuesdays


This little boy and girl were playing a version of the same game as the girl above. I sat down beside them and they continued. I sat there for five minutes and still could not figure out the rules


After a bit, a crowd gathered and it was if they were playing for the world's championship of whatever this game is. I couldn't tell who won :)


Extricating myself from the post game formalities


A nice palm tree on a warm afternoon

This is becoming a regular stop - a nice family and a cat named Miss. I got to play with Miss today :)


A local hangout


Passing through the fish market


I passed by this church today - I didn't know it was a church until I heard the singing. I wanted to stop by, but not while I had a camera. Maybe next Tuesday


A nice surprise - new on the menu today, medium rare steak! It was wonderful


Julienne, my favorite cook in  the DRC! Took me a few weeks to get a smile :)

Each day brings new experiences. I had a very nice compliment from the staff today. When I went in to give them money for my upcoming meals, they told me very earnestly that they had made a request to UNHCR to have me return :)

4 comments:

  1. God knows what these people went through, still they wear beautiful smiles on their hopeful cheerful faces. Makes me wonder of the frowns we see around us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Always nice to be asked to return...they see genuine compassion in your work, not pity...you remind them every day that they, too, mattered, and are not forgotten.

    That steak looks juicy...feel like caramelized bananas topped with vanilla bean ice cream now. Any ice cream there??

    Salam,
    Manal K :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes there are a lot of smiles here :) I don't think there is ice cream as most of the town does not have electricity. We are on a generator here at the UNHCR compound. I can get a cold orange drink here

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes there are a lot of smiles here :) I don't think there is ice cream as most of the town does not have electricity. We are on a generator here at the UNHCR compound. I can get a cold orange drink here

    ReplyDelete