Thursday, June 11, 2015

Smiles And Industry

Each day, as I walk around Zongo (five miles or so on Thursdays), I encounter countless smiles and all sorts of industry. People are out and about and I like it:

A few Thursday smiles














Industry



This pot is full of water! Probably about eight gallons at eight pounds per - do the math





The new English Club at Nzulu Institute playing the question gauntlet


Now in a circle, playing the snake that swallows itself


The junior varsity - they are coming for you

It really struck me tonight what a community this place is. Little access to electricity, tv, or internet - the whole town is outside interacting together. Young people playing and watching a football match, scores of smaller games everywhere, teenagers and teachers staying at school to start an English Club. People working everywhere yet kind and cheerful to each other. I don't think America even has a distant memory of this sort of milieu :(

4 comments:

  1. Like a big perpetual family reunion

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's how it should be! How is Benjamin? :)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is great and quite the Red Rover player!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am so glad to see the wonderful pictures in your blog. I wish it could be published to the entire USA. The media makes refugee camps sound like such dismal, horrible places but, Zongo does not seem to be that way at all. They are a community. I wish I could be a part of a community like theirs where everyone works together, and everyone is eager to learn!

    ReplyDelete