Sunday, June 7, 2015

A Peaceful Night In Zongo

I rested a great bit today, caught up on some feedback for the students, then went to inaugurate the English Club at Saint Laurent school. It went very well and I had a lazy walk home with the steady cacophony of "Michael, what's that?" from a pack of teenagers following me home from the club. It was fun and they helped me change some dollars and buy eggs and vegetables. I bumped into some of my UN colleagues on the way and we chatted briefly and I met some of their children. I will know this place and it will know me about the time I leave.............:)


The battery store


The hardware store


The oil store


A lazy Sunday evening braiding hair


Dinner time!

Helping mommy with dinner


A very nice woodcarving at Saint Laurent where we hold the English Club


A very good turnout for our first meeting given there was a popular football match going on outside


"Good evening, how are you? What is your name?" 


"...and what is YOUR name?"


Camera shy


The sisters heading over to take in the match


Ha! Actually got a ball in the picture - to be fair, volleyball is a little less challenging than soccer


"You lookin' at me?"


Don't know what these little girls were selling, but I bought some!


Stopped in the market and bought a couple of hard boiled eggs from the egg man. I was relieved to know they were cooked as I had seen him walking around before and wondered what if.......

It was a very good day, and I finished it off with a fully ripe, chilled papaya with fresh lime juice splattered over it. I have been here three weeks now and I only have a little over a month left. Time to kick it up a notch :)

4 comments: