Saturday, June 20, 2015

A Big Celebration!

Today we celebrated World Refugee Day in style in the camp. There were many dignitaries present, a wonderful parade, and engaging ceremonies and performances. I was a bystander today and loved it. Too excited to discriminate too much, so lots of pictures follow:


Getting the banner ready for the parade

The marching band warming up



Members of the Capoeira Team getting loose


Everyone loves a parade











The anticipation is in the air!








Everyone seems to be out for the parade


Heading down to the grandstand for the start of the parade


Ursula, the Area Director for UNHCR



Practicing funny sounding English words



Pom Pom Girls



The Women's Soccer Team


The Mothers Club


The Karate Kids


The parade came complete with a couple of very engaging clowns!


Well, not everyone was engaged

The Capoeira Team



Heading off to the pavilion for the ceremonies


The English Club performing a self-composed song about why they love English


Packed to the rafters, literally


On all sides


A wonderful skit on Christian/Muslim relations in the camp. I admire the Christian refugees here for their tolerance and compassion


What's next?


She has them under control! Heading off to the basketball game



Perched on a cool vantage point, smiling beautifully!

There are a hundred more pictures, but my fast is defeating me at this moment :)  We are having a reception in a few hours - I will eat, get my second wind, and post more. It has been a wonderful day.

2 comments:

  1. So I've been reading about "why African babies don't cry"....lots of interesting stuff. All these pictures of toddlers and little ones beaming smiles just incredible.
    I guess I'd like to ask if you have seen many babies crying at all? Toddler throwing a tantrum on the side of the road- refusing to get up perhaps? Mothers battling with a stubborn little one ?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol, oh I have made a few cry! I have even heard the odd caterwauling now and then. But for the most part, crying isn't cultivated much here. Today I came across a little teary-eyed girl in the playground, sitting rubbing her leg. The other kids were ignoring her, not picking on her, but going about their business. I reached out and helped her up, gave her a hug and the other kids started laughing sweetly. She looked up, wiped her tears, and skipped off. I think children here get more authentic hugs when they need them, not much emotional extortion going on.

    ReplyDelete