Tuesday, June 23, 2015

A Bonus Day - Alhamdulilah

First, I would be remiss if I did not mention how well Ramadan is going. I have been blessed with lots of good work, cool temperatures, nice breezes, and fortifying smiles. I was planning to go to a local school for some lessons today but found out they were in exams. At the last moment, I hitched a ride with another agencies SUV. At first, they thought they didn't have room, but then one young man graciously beckoned me over to share his seat. Given that it is a 90 minute ride over some of the worst roads anywhere, I was touched. Sure enough, we got stuck at the infamous river crossing. I needed to get out to help, but when I did, I sank a foot in the most clawing, viscuous mud possible. An older woman noticed and rushed over with a small bucket of water. She bent down and took off my shoes, handing them to her son to wash in the river, and she began gently washing my socks and pant legs. Now I am sure she was hoping for a small gratuity, but she was very careful and attentive in her work. It was one of those situations where you help someone do something they can't do half as well as you. I tipped her probably ten times what she might of hoped for and she was very grateful. I spent the day happily sloshing around - evidently waterproof shoes hold water in as well as they hold it out!
We made our way to camp without further incident and I took advantage of the impromptu visit to move about without an entourage. I bumped into a few students and teachers who were startled as if to say "wait, you aren't supposed to be here, do we have class today?"  I laughed and explained it was an extra day and that I would just wander around on my own. I headed over to the carpenter's shop hoping to catch him to discuss some signs we wanted to commission. When I got there he was surprised and happy to see me. He was working on building a couple of beds using mortise and tenon joinery. We talked a bit and he allowed me to help him. I explained the English terms and we proceeded to cut tenons for a few hours. It was a wonderful break from my routine, and his little daughter hung about watching intently. I think I will go back next Tuesday and help him build some chairs for the new English Club space.
I walked around and finally found Teddy, St. Fort, and Juliette. We chatted a bit and I spent an hour or so fruitlessly trying to help Teddy start a blog - the internet connection at the camp was very, very slow. Eventually, I went up the hill to catch a ride back to Zongo. I was pleased to see I would be riding back with Yaya and some UNHCR colleagues. Just as we were about to depart, an older gentleman came up to the car. I thought he was just chatting with Yaya, but he was asking if he could share my seat. I think Yaya was hesitant not knowing what I would think. Once I clocked on to what was happening, I gladly waved him in. A bit more reverse Karma, another bonus for the day.
We got back about and hour before Iftar and I settled into my room. I changed and washed up to find that Julienne had cut and chilled a pineapple for me. Yaya was still around, so he shared my dinner with me. A nice way to end the day!



The new hospital and maternity ward


Facing the delightful litany I get a hundred times a day, "Hello, What is your Name? Where are your from?"


Working on the waving thing


Walking through the primary school area, trying not to start a riot :)


Yes it is good, and no you can't have it


Safely behind mom


Pals


More Pals



Working on those tenons - next week I think I will help him make some bench dogs!


A bit wary at first


Fully acclimated ten minutes later


Having a laugh with the ladies in the camp market



Wandering around the rows of shelters


The camp taxi service

Yes it was a day of bonuses - An extra day in the camp, a humbling foot washing moment, time shared with a master carpenter, sharing a seat back and forth to the camp, and cold, ripe pineapple. I am blessed!

1 comment:

  1. footwashin' is o.k. but don't get caught up in any snakehandlin' !
    :?)
    JC

    ReplyDelete