Sunday, June 21, 2015

A Very Busy Weekend

It is 6:42 pm here, and I am taking a break from writing a White Paper to finish last night's post as well as one for today. We celebrated World Refugee Day in the camp yesterday and when we returned to the compound, there was an evening reception to finish the day. Our cooks worked all day and the food was fantastic! I stuck around for awhile then ducked into my room for an early evening. Today was the first of three Sundays I will spend in the camp to complete our planning and arrangements for the various programs we are developing. We made a lot of progress today, and we planned an English Day for July 1st (fitting). Yaya and I got back shortly before I had to wander over to St. Laurent for their English Club, so we stopped by and I met his lovely family. On my way home, I met several new people, including Mr. Steve, who was very engaging. I topped the weekend off with a couple of eggs, some bread and cheese, and a light salad with some bananas on the side. I am drinking the sun tea I made earlier trying to stay awake.................


Getting things started


Grill Masters


Nelly and Julienne working on the goat intestines


Bananas ready for frying


Chicken wings Zongo style


Grilled goat



Waiting for sunset to eat


The ladies serving dinner


My dinner (first helping) - Bananas, chicken, goat intestines, and a touch of hot sauce


The ladies taking a short break in a very long day


Moving slowly through a bad stretch of road, the forest came alive!


I get this reaction often when the kids realize I am trying to say "hello, be happy" in their language. They go from somber to manic in nanoseconds


Wander what they will tell their parents tonight




Heading to church


Hanging out


Love his truck!




Very beautiful service


Waling around Zongo in the evenings, I often hear music like this. I am so glad I was able to come in and experience the service


Hmmm


Planning the July 4th gig


Great folks


Our student leaders in training - stepping up to the plate!


Yvon, Teddy, St. Fort, and Juliette takin' care of business


Scholastique explaining the new lesson planning template


These young girls breaking rocks to make gravel for the concrete mixes, doing a good job keeping up!




She loves her job



Showing me some steps


Another spin off - the police have asked for English classes


Yaya, a real hardworking cowboy


Yaya, Hawa, and Fatima (their young daughter)


Momma and Daughter - Fatima is leery of her father's new acquaintance 


Beautiful family outside their beautiful home


Dragon, the family pet, couldn't be bothered


Mr. Steve, a new friend


Thrown together, but delicious

Back to the paper.....

No comments:

Post a Comment