Sunday, June 28, 2015

Two Weeks To Go

I had a nice ride out to Mole with Yaya this morning - we were alone without any passengers so we took our time. Once there, I had a very productive meeting with the team. We planned our July 4th gig, and I had time to make headway with Teddy and Yvon on the Secondary School Curriculum project. Currently, there is no secondary school in the camp. We have a basic framework that is designed to get them in school using some neat lessons from a Rwanda conflict resolution curriculum. Eventually we will fold in other subjects, resources, and teachers. For now, we want the students to get back in the groove and to know there is hope for their future.
When I got back to Zongo, I headed over to St. Laurent school for the English club. Only three students came as they have just finished their exams and are now on holiday. We sat outside and a bunch of precocious children came by. We all chatted and one finally showed me the rules of the rock game (similar to jacks I guess)! I showed them some parlor tricks and introduced them to the motorcycle tire toss event. It was hilarious to see them spin around with the tire trying to fling it as far as they could. To my relief, no one was harmed. Am back home now about to make my evening dinner. Tonight it will be a giant egg sandwich with tomatoes and onions. Yum!


Anytime we stop on the road, a posse of kids assemble. 


And sometimes goats





I am not always an immediate hit with the kids - this is a range of reactions in about 30 seconds


The girls empowerment team working with Bryce's activity book. The were trying to see which activities they could use later with the girls. 





They chose Body Virus - you are infected with a shaking virus that moves from your feet all the way up your body eventually to your hands


One minute of an hour and half commute!


Here's what happens when you attempt to use a tablet camera (for the first time and you weren't really paying attention when someone showed you how two months ago) out of a landcruiser window trying to take a spectacular picture of the refugee camp at Mole. I have some adjusting to do, but I like the picture anyway :)

It was another great day. I am thinking my next adventure might be to Zanzibar!

smile emoticon

2 comments:

  1. Two weeks? Seems as if you would stay two years if possible. LECR has a team poised to come and retrieve you (although we probably could be convinced to stay as well) :?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It will be hard to leave, am already looking for portals back. I would be curious to see how the team would like it here

    ReplyDelete