Thursday, February 21, 2019

Never A Dull Moment

Never A Dull Moment

When I woke up this morning, I thought it was going to be a very slow day. I knew it was to be the last day at the school for me this trip, but I didn't count on the activity level that awaited me. Lama picked me up and surprised me with fresh coffee and homemade peanut butter cookies. The cookies were great, and evidently, I introduced them to a whole new admiring audience here in Jordan. Early in the morning, all the students assembled and presented me with flowers, cards, and chants goodbye. I was very touched at their genuine tribute. I got fist bumps from nearly all of them and a few hugs and "I love you"s to boot. A little later, I got to be a guest judge in the KG for a competition. The kids came in with their mothers and it was very nice. Kindergarten activities always seem to be a just a half a step away from chaos to me, but always fun and engaging for the kids. I love watching some of the teachers, particularly those in full niqab, while they teach. You can learn so much by just watching their body language. They are wonderful teachers. I drifted out later to play badminton and then to say goodbye to all the kids and teachers for a few months. I also got a chance to talk to Zeina and Jana for a bit before they went home. Their teachers say that they have really been working hard and really appreciate the help our B260 family has given them. I had my last meeting with Rawan, Heydyah, an Wafa to plan out more English Club activities. Lama took me back to her parents house for my first dinner of the evening. Her parents were wonderful hosts and I had the best maglouba I have had in a long time. Rawan joined us and we had a good time. Dessert was rushed but awesome, and I was then hurried back to my hotel to meet Lana and her brother and sister, Ahmed and Rana. We drove to a nice restaurant and had a great time laughing and practicing pop psychology. Sometimes, an awkward moment can be hilarious, even if you would never plan it. When Lana invited me to dinner, I swore she said she was bringing her sister and brother-in-law with her. I don't know if anyone has ever asked siblings how long they have been married to each other before, but I do know that it doesn't go over well. They were good sports though, and I was impressed by their honesty and intelligence. There is still a great premium on respect for ones elders here, and it is nice to interact openly with young people. After fourteen hours, I am back at my hotel feeling good, yet glad I get to sleep in tomorrow. This great trip keeps getting better :)

Image may contain: 3 people, including Rawan Sami, people smiling, people sitting, table and food


Image may contain: 3 people, including Alaa Ammoura and Lana Nidal, people smiling, people sitting







No photo description available.

Image may contain: food

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, people sitting


No comments:

Post a Comment