Sunday, February 10, 2019

First Day Back

First Day

The flights were good and I did manage to get some sleep. Sat next to an anaesthesiologist on the plane from Iowa. We had a good conversation. She told me her first job was detasseling corn. A new one on me. The layover in Instanbul was good - I got a shower and I lingered at the olive bar longer than I should have. I hit some golf balls in the simulation room and had a fun discussion from a young staff member who dreams of playing in the NBA. I got into Amman at midnight and Mohammed (Alaa's brother) drove me to Irbid. I got to sleep around 3am and then went to school at 7:30am. It was the first day back for the students and it was a lot of fun. It is chilly and raining here, but they all seem to persevere.
It was so good to see everyone again - the atmosphere is wonderful. The teachers get it, the students love it, and the community is starting to understand. The new teachers I met are excited and we will dive into programs tomorrow morning.  I had a long day, but got back to my hotel and grabbed some Yemeni food (did I mention that there is a great Yemeni restaurant at the base of my hotel?) After a few hours of sleep, I am back at it :)



Jana (left) and Zaina, the two young ladies we sponsor at the school received some school supplies from the staff. 


I was very pleased that my fistbump is still part of the culture


I got to visit all the classes. The students really love this school


This is Suad, cake-maker extraordinaire! Carmela sent her some supplies and she was over the moon


I'm back!

1 comment: