Friday, July 10, 2015

Off To Kinshasa

I had a relatively uneventful trip from Zongo to Kinshasa today. I got up early and went down to the Ubangi river with Yaya so he could drop off the SUV for a wash. We walked down to the market and I bought him a new pair of shoes (given I got him in so much mud lately), and we stopped by his house to say goodbye to Hawa and Fatima. I then spent a few hours tying up loose ends before I left - got certificates done, messages sent, last minute details solved, and said a bunch of goodbyes. I was very fortunate to catch a plane from Zongo, as few flights come in and out of this place. There is not terminal and the runway is a gravel road. The military comes to supervise the flights. I caught a World Food Program plane and made the circuit down to Kinshasa after a few short stops. Off course the books I have been waiting for the past three weeks came in on the plane I took out. Traffic was terrible in Kinshasa, but they put me up in a five star hotel overlooking the Congo (pictures tomorrow). I have never had a better shower in my life I think. I had a nice talk with Bryce and am making an early evening of it as I watch PGA golf on tv. Rough life...........



Yaha dealing with the authorities regarding my picture taking at the river


My surrogate sisters - Julienne, Pelagie, and Nelly


Jean Baptist - my best English student in Zongo!


Zongo Airport


Check in with Michel



Didier, Albert, and Yaya seeing me off



Was an honor to fly on a World Food Program plane with other folks providing humanitarian aid to this area of the world

Taking another shower :)  More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment