Sunday, July 5, 2015

A Pleasant Sunday

Yaya and I took our time this morning getting to the camp. The roads were better and I think we were both a bit tired from a long, stressful week. Our drive started out very well when I finally got a picture of a peanut lady, a notoriously reticent group here. Once at the camp, the leaders took charge of the planning session and I just passed out peanuts. I did get to explore some new parts of the camp, and two families welcomed me into their compounds so I could take some pictures of the shelters. I was very honored. Once back in Zongo, Yaya showed me the new house he and Hawa are building. It is gonna be great! I am back now getting ready to go make a big egg sandwich and then take a nap. Four more days here in Zongo :(


Think your alarm clock is obnoxious? I will trade you!


My first peanut lady - I was now the proud owner of ten pounds of peanuts.


A beautiful view from the north edge of the camp


Contemplating a break out I think


More vistas


The grounds are immaculately kept


Fish from the local river


Teddy leading the group


Took some effort to coax a smile from her


Yaya has some excess baggage to deal with


Ready to get back to school tomorrow


Kids practicing the songs they heard in the camp yesterday


Coming out of church


"See you tomorrow"



Looking into the camp from the south


Coming by Scholastique's shelter in the morning to meet her family


I finally met their mother! I did not know that Teddy, Yvon, Scholastique, and her sister on the left were related until recently.



Incorporating nature


Caught them dancing (that's sorta like you catching me breathing)


Juliet and Martin's Shelter. This is the kitchen and workplace


Martin cooking cassava for dinner


Where all the hard work happens


Their shelter


There are two bedrooms here, separated by a large fabric.


Back at Scholastique's shelter


She and her daughter have an outdoor kitchen



Both sides of the indoor kitchen


Their bedroom



Yaya and Fatima's new house. A nice property near the river.

Working in a refugee camp is very ironic sometimes. As you can see, the people here have precious little and even less living space. Yet they keep it very clean and utilize it very efficiently. Still, you might feel saddened by the environment if you did not interact with them. They are friendly, optimistic, and collaborative. I think I would much rather live in their neighborhood than in mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment