Saturday, July 11, 2015

A Quiet Day In Kinshasa

After a nice buffet last night, I went back to my room and started feeling poorly (nothing to do with the food). I am not sure if it is a sinus problem or worse. I have had a small fever all day, but I managed to make my way around Kinshasa with Sampson, Bryce's very congenial and sincere assistant. We went shopping and I bought some artwork in the local market. Later in the afternoon, I went to CALI, The Congolese American Language Institute to debrief with Bryce and to speak to his English Club about working with refugees. The students were great and they asked really sophisticated questions. I did squeeze a nap in and then went to a pharmacy before dinner for some medication. I am hoping it will kick in soon. It turns out that Sampson and Bryce are not feeling well either, so it has been a slow moving day. Sampson and I went out and got some hummos and falafel and now I am back in bed early. I will leave the hotel at 9am tomorrow to meet with them and then off to the airport at 5:20 pm. I had a great bath today and might try to grab one in the morning. I feel really clean for the first time in a while. Gonna hit the sack...


My hotel view over the Congo river


The first thing I saw when I came into the room :)


The shower isn't bad either


Didn't take long to mess up the room



The English Club - Actually these are leaders who coordinate other clubs


Bryce leading some interesting debates

Will try to get some sleep. Tomorrow will be a rough day as I won't be able to eat or drink for quite a while. I don't mind as this has been a very spiritual Ramadan for me in many ways and small sacrifices are in better context for me these days.

No comments:

Post a Comment