Thursday, July 9, 2015

My Last Day In Mole

Yesterday was my last day at Mole. I knew it would be an emotional day, but I was still surprised at the genuine display of emotions I received and felt in return. It ended up being a very long day and I wouldn't trade a second of it for anything.
Yaya and I went to the camp early to do some planning with the English Club team. My last day coincided with the end of school ceremonies, so there were a thousand folks around when we got there. To date, I have been estimating that we reached 200 children with our English programs - yesterday I learned I was woefully incorrect. More than 500 of those children were rattling off English in complete sentences! I was literally mobbed, and thoroughly delighted. The children had their graduation ceremony while we had the last English lesson I will see for some time. After the lesson, the English Club assembled and we had a small going away party. It was very touching. They thanked me for helping them learn English and recounted the difficulties they had in the past when they tried to learn in the Central African Republic. Many of the women told me they had been forbidden to learn English, or that they had been dissuaded by cruel and mean teachers. The men talked of the French influence there that made it very difficult to learn English. They told me that the "French people had colonized them, but never helped them develop, they only took what they wanted from the country." It was so heartwarming to see mothers and their children learning together these past two months. Older students sat beside grade school students with no barriers or sense of entitlement. Teenagers became teachers in a matter of a few weeks. Younger students became English emissaries back to their shelter clusters. It was amazing - they had been ready for a long time before I showed up.
There were a lot of smiles and lot of tears from people that surprised me. I held it together somehow, perhaps with the firm conviction I will make it back here to them in the near future.
After the party, the Girls Empowerment Club headed back to the carpenters shop to complete the stool they were building. It was a great time and they worked like little crazed ants - it was very cute. I did cry at a very unexpected moment though. I very tall, thin young girl with a large overbite was with the group and it was the first time I had seen her. While the others were sanding, I called her over to help drive some nails into a small chair. She did a great job and when she was finished, she was beaming. She gave me a very long hug and skipped back over to the other girls. I had to turn away from the group for a minute or so.....
When I got back to the school, Yvon was finishing up the first full lesson with the new Secondary School Program. He had 19 students and it was a great start. It is hard to get across here how significant this is. These teenagers have been out of school for two or more years. They have been in the camp with very little to do, losing hope for a decent future. This program is the first step in getting them back to their plans for a better life. I will continue to help develop it, and with any luck, will be back in December to implement the next stage. I am very proud of Yvon and the whole team for taking these important projects on their backs for so little compensation. It restores my faith in humanity and decency.
The topping to this great day was that Teddy and his leadership team (Juliet, Scholastique, Yvon, and Saint Fort) all came back to Zongo with me for the night! When we got back, the staff here had a party for me and we all joined in. I won't list all the gifts I received yesterday (selfishly, they are mine) but I will say that I know they were thoughtfully chosen and at a dear cost in this economy. I am blessed.
Many of us went to dinner and then to a local club to dance. Saint Fort was the star, with the others eventually joining in. After an hour or so, we returned to the UN compound and planned the next few stages of the program and a pen pal program.  Somewhere around 11pm, they headed off to a local hotel and I fruitlessly tried to sleep. This morning we got together at 7am and had a nice morning meeting with some of the UN staff here. Midway through the meeting I found out my flight to Kinshasa today was cancelled and I briefly considered going back to the camp with them. Having made all of my goodbyes yesterday, I decided better of it and sent them off for their big open house at the camp. I will miss them.







School's out for the summer!


The student leaders getting their certificates - they are a wonderful crew and Saint Fort does a great job with them


A few Muslim families stopping by to say goodbye


Standing up on a bench to tape my goodbye song from the kids - Levy had done an incredible job with the music program here


Some gracious words on behalf of the mothers in the camp


Accepting thanks when I should be giving them :)


Good pals


Yaha taking it all in - the folks thanked him profusely for all the trips he made with me, seven days a week


The lettuce lady hoping I was hungry again


The gang (Benjamin's twin sister turned up from Bangui the other day, she is not in a matching dress). From left to right: Esther, Amina (with her new dress from Joanne), Benjamin, and Christine.


Mr. Jobson, the president of the camp's education committee, who was named by English missionaries. He would like to return to Bangui to help build a new English program


I need them on my next project

 Designing the camp's first bunk beds with Felecian. After visiting a blind student's shelter, we discovered his children had to sleep on an old worn mat. I commissioned the bed and the camp will provide the foam mattresses. As usual, once Felecian understood what I wanted, he was way ahead of me on the design.





Girl Power!


At first blush, not very extraordinary, but the kindling to a brighter future




After two months, I got a smile for Vasily (I think his mother was tickling him)






Kids



 The English Club leadership team with Yaya celebrating


The UN staff here in Zongo


Mrs. Ursula and I with the English Club leaders


Thursday morning, time to say goodbye for now :(

I haven't yet been able to begin to process my feelings about this adventure. I am not sure I ever will, or that I will be generous enough to share them. For now please know that I am simply blessed.

2 comments:

  1. Salam Michael,
    My children and I will truly miss your lovely reflections and heart-warming pictures! Thank you for sharing your journey with us. I think it was Gandhi who said, "the best way to find yourself is to lose yourself in the service of others." Thank you for that reminder :)
    Wishing you a comfortable and safe trip home.
    Manal K. and Kids

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Manal :) I am very glad you and your family enjoyed the posts. You would love it here

    ReplyDelete