Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Ramadan 1433 - Small Gestures


I live about a half a mile from work, and I drive back and forth each day in my old beat up pickup truck (will start riding my bike soon when my Achilles tendon heals from the basketball game....).  I have found that the most direct route is through a small neighborhood, and I enjoy cruising through at 20mph or less down the tree lined street. Once the public schools got out in early June, I noticed a small group of Arab boys perpetually perched on a particular corner, playing near the stop sign.  As I coasted to a stop, I noticed the smallest of the kids looking at me - an old man in a suit in a very rusted truck. I smiled and waved at him, and he took a quick glance towards his friends then kinda gave me a half a smile and cool nod. Over the next month we repeated this small ritual several times and his smile broadened and became a bit more friendly, but he was still cool.  Yesterday, after not having seen him in a few weeks, I drove back down the street. I had the radio on in my truck (the same radio that gets only one channel no matter where I am) when I pulled up to the familiar stop sign, and I didn't see the boys. As I began to pull away I heard a high pitched noise that couldn't have come from my radio and I looked off to my right.  That little cool kid was in his garage jumping up and down, waving and me and screaming. I smiled and waved. He regained his composure and gave me the most sincere, least cool salute an old man ever got.

4 comments:

  1. Angles must find each other and become friends, no matter how long it takes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a very lovely sentiment :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nice and touching....kids always have their effects that touch us deeply in the heart.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. When a child smiles at you, you feel all the problems in the world has faded away.

    ReplyDelete