Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Ramadan 1433 - Abeer, Sara, and Sabreen

Sara, Abeer, and Sabreen are three lovely ladies from our Academy. Two of them could be sisters, and the third perhaps but from another marriage. These three never failed to make me smile, and I can't imagine three more kinder hearts anywhere in Jordan. And when I think back to when my girls were small, I can't think of any other teachers on the planet I would rather have teach them than Sabreen, Abeer, and Sara.
Sara and Abeer could not only be sisters, they could be twin sisters. When Abeer introduced herself, we knew she was a very motivated teacher who always works in silence, behind the scenes. She is also decisive and very rational.  I have found this to be true. Abeer was one of the first academy members to turn in her research, and also one who privately reached out to me with comfort when she thought I was struggling. She has a very kind soul, and I am sure she is a wonderful teacher.  Says one of her colleagues: "Abeer attended the academy with great passion ready to start the challenge...She is wise and always careful about the words she uses in her speech as she tries to do things perfectly...She always has something good in her mind to say about the academy." Being so quiet, I didn't get to know her as well as I would like to, but I smile each time I think of her.
Sara is also quiet, and also very passionate about teaching. I had the honor of observing her classroom and I had a wonderful time. She taught in an impossibly small and cramped space, but she did a marvelous job with those little girls. She moved gently and expertly through her lesson, lovingly reassuring them as they eagerly participated. I was amazed, knowing I could never teach like that under those conditions. I sat there and watched her teach, realizing how lucky those kids were. I have never seen a better teacher anywhere, even in places with unlimited resources and support. UNRWA is very lucky too.
If Sara and Abeer are the quiet twins, then Sabreen is the overactive, rambunctious younger sister. Her passion, unlike that of her two sisters, does not stay in its banks, and overflows regularly with an almost mischievous glee. She is very bright, and all that energy and intelligence just cannot be contained. I loved having her in the academy (most of the time :) and could tell she was often trying so hard to restrain herself, but ultimately could not. That is probably why I put a big roll of tape (plaster) down in front of her. Seriously though, she is very refreshing, and I would love to see her in classroom. Children respond wonderfully to that level of honesty and energy, and I bet there is a lot of fun in her lessons. Sabreen too, was ready to charge to my defense, something I will never forget.
When I think of these three ladies (and the other academy members) I am reminded of God's grace. Man has made such a mess of Palestine and displaced so many innocent and good people. God has not turned His back to this horror, choosing instead to make angels and dress them up like teachers. 


Five angels pretending to be teachers: Sara, Abeer, Mervat, Inas, and Sabreen (Left to Right)

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your warm words .You are so sincere and dedicated to your friends .May Allah bless you.
    Sabreen Omary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank u mr.Micheal, i am so happy to draw a smile on ur face anytime.
    Abeer Zayed

    ReplyDelete