Saturday, August 11, 2012

Ramadan 1433 - Amira, Khadijeh, and Hanadi

 
Three more wonderful Academy sisters!  And like a broken record, I will note how valuable yet different these ladies are. When I think of the 30 plus members of the academy, I realize that most are my favorites in one way or another. No exceptions here. If these were the only three exceptional members of this team, I would have still considered this academy to a great success. I am just so amazed when I think of the depth, breadth, and soul of this wonderful group.
Hanadi is a very serious and compassionate teacher. She is soft spoken but very intelligent and active. Says a friend: "Hanadi is a warm-hearted, dedicated, and motivated teacher. She loves her work as well as her students to whom she is like an elder sister - she is also a good leader." I suspected that Hanadi was dealing with a lot of things outside the academy while she was with us, yet she did a great job and was one of the first to finish her research. I respect her greatly for this :)
Amira is the owner of my favorite smile in the academy. She is almost always smiling; it is very genuine and sincere, and a bit playful.  I think it is just a refection of the kindness in her heart. From a friend in the academy: "Amira, a great mother and teacher.... She is very active and loves what she does.... eager to learn and never misses a course or workshop.. I really appreciate all mother teachers who would always find time to develop themselves and never quit.  She always draws a smile on your face, as she is always smiling when talking to people around her, I bet people like being in her company.."  I couldn't agree more! Mothers like  Amira really exemplify what is best about this academy - balancing work and home life, yet maintaining  a vital and passionate curiosity about their profession, their students, and their peers. Amazing really.
Khadijeh has my favorite brain in the academy. She is an intellectual with a big heart and true passion for her faith. I chuckle sometimes as her earnestness, it is very refreshing. I enjoyed discussing academic subjects with her - someone who can equal or even surpass my own fervor for such things. I had the great opportunity to observe Khadijeh in the classroom, and I was very impressed. She was perfect in that place, working with older girls that could appreciate her intelligence and benefit from her quiet energy. She motivated them easily, and I could tell she had cultivated a very good relationship with them. It was a pleasure to watch them moving through the lesson together.
When people ask me why I started this academy, or why I put a great deal of my own resources into, my answer has changed over the past year. Originally, I thought the love and care I felt would find its way to the thousands of Palestinian students spread across the region in those humble schools. Helping their teachers was just my an indirect, pragmatic way to make my own contribution there. But after working with these teachers and administrators, I realize how much I care about them too. All of them impress me, all of them inspire me. And as funny as this might sound, I get so much out of this experience, it may even be approaching a selfish level. Whatever the case, I thank Allah that I was lead to this academy, and the wonderful people there, like Amira, Khadijeh, and Hanadi.

1 comment: