Friday, June 10, 2016

Treating Myself


My Favorite Irons Restored!

I bought these irons about fifteen years ago and they were used then. I immediately noticed how solid they were and how they rewarded a good swing. They weren't very forgiving, but perhaps my experience with and fondness for women,  made it all the better. These are Mizuno MP14 irons and were quite popular with better players at the turn of the millennium - I wasn't a better player, but I wanted to be. After several years, the chrome eventually chipped on several of the clubs and I put them away. I bought a few new sets in the intervening years, but nothing felt as good to me. Last year I got a blow torch and took the heads off the clubs and sent them to a company to have them rechromed and regrooved. It cost me about $250 but they came back beautiful, shiny and new. This week I finished the process by having them reshafted and regripped (another $300). I went out to the course today and only hit these irons, forgoing my woods, wanting just to embrace my old friends. I could tell the difference immediately and played well despite my relative lack of rounds this year. Maybe I am getting old and romantic. Maybe these clubs are no different than any others. I don't know, but I am sure I don't want to play any other irons the rest of my life :)

No comments:

Post a Comment