Saturday, June 11, 2016

Weekly Grace



Members of the ESL Conversation Group

We took a few weeks off after the spring term and I was very pleased to see thirty students when we resumed classes last week. We have lots of new students these days, as well as some "regulars." In the fall and spring, we do both Saturdays and Sundays, but in the summer, I take Sundays off. Today we had a summer theme going on (as I was late and didn't really have anything prepared) that went well. As always, we wandered off to places like marital status, temperature ranges, nudist colonies, rototillers, and other oddly disconnected items. They did a good job, and as usual, most stayed the entire four hours. It was a typically diverse day, with students from countries like Guatemala, Mexico, Columbia, Thailand, Iraq, Syria, Poland, Lithuania, Russia, Egypt, Palestine, Jordan, Yemen, Morocco, India, and Japan. Over the past four years, I suppose we have had students from more than 75 countries!


We deliberately don't set the group up as a class per se, but I usually have a plan and some materials beforehand. There are just a few basic objectives: 1) Have fun, 2) Create a warm and supportive environment, 3) Engage them, and 4) Connect them to each other, the school, and the community. Our students have gone on to help us pilot welding and medical programs for ESL students, have become student employees of the college, and have even appeared on flyers and brochures. Here are few profiles and stories of some of the more than 500 students who have participated:

Zidi - Zidi isn't with us here at this moment, as he is on one of his trips to Poland. When he is here, he is a mainstay of the group. Zidi helps break most stereotypes of Polish men as he is warm, friendly, and always ready with a joke or a smile. He is very earnest, and was one of the first volunteers for the I-Best Welding program we developed.

Rosa - Rosa is a funny storm in a teacup. She has a lot of energy and a heart of gold. I think I have shushed her about 1,000 time, but I do appreciate the enthusiasm she brings to the group. Rosa comes on weekends as she is taking care of her children during the week.

Amanda - Amanda is our diminutive Peruvian friend. She has been in and out of the group since its inception. She has a good sense of humor and is always ready to bring food for a party.

Ossama - Ossama too has been with us for a long time. I met him when I was tutoring his daughter who was injured in the Syrian war. He is a very warm man with a great sense of humor. He is very serious about his English though, and always brings me advanced words to figure out.

The Thai Girls - The two Thai girls are new and I still can't pronounce their names - I think they get longer each week. They are seventeen and nineteen, are fully engaged in a sibling rivalry, and take silly pills each morning I think. They have a great deal of energy and are a nice compliment to generally older, more serious crowd.

Ada - Ada is from Poland and our resident Eeyore at times. She has a good sense of humor but likes to grumble and fuss occasionally. Ada seldom misses a session, sits up front, and resolutely refuses to tell us when exactly she came to America.

Hide' (Hiday) - Hide' is a Japanese student enrolled in the college who used to volunteer with me at the homeless shelter. He made a cameo appearance today after having been gone for some time. Hide' is moving on to a four year school soon to study biofuels I think. He loves basketball and I always willing to help.

Maisa and Haneen - They are our resident mother/daughter duo. Haneen is on her way to being a doctor, and Maisa is a proud parent of several bright children. I think Haneen is the youngest though, and her mom keeps after her from time to time.

Richard and Luz - Richard is a good friend that came to the group with his wife Luz. She is from Mexico and wanted to continue to develop her English, although it already very good. They are two of the most generous people I know (and that is in the tall cotton in the ESL group). When I went off to the Congo last year, Richard stood in for me for two months - quite a commitment.

These are just a few of the wonderful people I interact with on my weekends. In the coming weeks, I will profile more of them :)

This past spring, I was given the Embracing Diversity Award here at MVCC, largely in part due to the work I do on my weekends with this great group. I say work but it really isn't - Each week I get to horse around with people from all over the world who are trying to better their lives and the lives of their loved ones. They help each other and they help me. I couldn't imagine doing anything else with my time........





No comments:

Post a Comment