Sunday, March 7, 2010

Golf


I started to play golf when I was twelve years old, notice that I didn't say that I learned to play golf, that hasn't happened yet. I didn't come to the game in the usual way, I came in the back door, or more precisely, the kitchen door. My step-father had gotten to know a local golf course owner, and he would sometimes work in their kitchen. Soon my mother was helping as a waitress, and eventually, I would be washing dishes. I think I made $1 and hour. The owner's kids got me out on the course, I loved playing golf. I loved the course - it was a nine-hole public course owned by a Mexican-American family. I sometimes washed dishes, sometimes cleaned the clubhouse, and occasionally helped out on the course. I played a little bit of golf, and romped around the course - it was great. In the evening, we would go out to a pond on the course and wade in barefooted finding errant golf balls. It is amazing, the things I did for fun then that they couldn't pay me to do now! If I hadn't worked there, I doubt I would ever have picked up the game. I kept playing throughout the years when I could, and I still love the game.

Ten years ago, I learned about a local course that was a hidden treasure. It is Clearview Golf Club, the only course designed, built, owned, and operated by an African-American - William Powell. I was doubly thrilled when I found out that Mr. Powell's daughter Renee (the second African-American to play on the LPGA Tour), ran a girl's golf program. I called the course, talked with Renee, and packed my two girls in a car and rushed down. The course was just outside a small town on a lonely road that once was the pathway across the country, Highway 30 - Lincoln Highway. We got to the course, and Renee sat with us for 45 minutes. She was very gracious and excited to see my daughters. Mr. Powell came by and chatted with us as well. I was so honored, I don't think I have been as thrilled to meet anyone before and since. We felt like we were at home.

In the intervening years, I have slowly gotten more involved at the course. I have helped at outings, served on committees and as a volunteer project manager. More importantly, my family and I have become close with the Powell's and it has been very incredible. Sadly, we lost Mr. Powell this past New Year's Eve. He was a remarkable man who always, always treated me with dignity and respect. I will continue working with the course, helping Renee and Larry Powell in anyway I can.

I was lucky that I found golf, or that it found me. It is amazing to get out on a course, walk, talk, swing, swear, and just lose yourself for a few hours. No matter what is in your life when you pull up to the clubhouse, it is gone for several hours. There is no place like it on earth. To be involved with two family-owned courses has been a seminal lesson for me. To watch them love and toil, to provide access for all us to this game we can play all of our lives is truly special. They have created living monuments, something very incredible for those of us who work with ideas and thoughts. I truly envy them.

http://www.clearview-gc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment