Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Maudlin Mist of Morning - Part 2

The Maudlin Mist of Morning
I, like the fog
Was born with a veil
On my face.
I frolicked with shadows
Played hide-and-seek
Through the dark corridors
Of my soul.
I saw what others could not see
In the maudlin mist of morning.
I wept. And the fog and I,
From our eclipses,
Mourned the sun.
Audrey Lee

This poem now carries a second level of significance for me, it speaks to me of depression (or is it schizophrenia, just kidding). I have discovered, to my dismay, that my mother left me with one tangible gift, a semblance at least of her profound depression. I didn't recognize if for a long, long time, but I see and feel it now. And it is worse in the mornings, in those early hours as I am almost awake. It comes as a sense of unease, of dread for nothing specific other than some ort left over from a disjointed dream. It is very real, and is immune to the particular circumstances of my life - good, bad, whatever, and it has been there for a long time. I can't imagine how my mother dealt with her depression, perhaps that is why she killed herself.

My mother committed suicide, Stephen King would say she used a "flexible bullet." She contracted a treatable form of cancer then refused medical assistance until it was too late. Medical issues had always been her form of attention-getting. She had been in and out of hospitals for physical and mental problems all of her life. She did teach me one thing, from beyond the grave - she taught me that repressed memories are real, or are possible. She had made a tape recording for me a few months prior to her death. I was angry with her for her selfish act and didn't listen to it for a few years. When I did, I learned that I don't have as much control over my mind, my memories, and my coping systems that I had once believed.

Her message was long and rambling. She was apologizing for many things, and for once wasn't making excuses for my father, abandoning her primary vocation - that of his enabler. She and my step-father invented the co-dependent concept. They were both constantly out of commission, but never, ever at the same time. Anyway, she got to a point in the tape when she began recounting a particularly terrible incident when I realized that I had forgotten or blocked it since it occurred. Suddenly, with great clarity, the memory came flooding back very vividly. It was if it had happened the day before. I was back in the bathroom trying to hold my mother's cut wrists (they must have been superficial cuts, but there was a lot of blood nonetheless) while I directed my four year old sister to go for help. I don't remember what happened next, but that memory is back with me and will never leave.

So now, I must deal openly with this legacy of depression I have inherited. It casts a pall on much of my day. I am not profoundly sad, I just don't have the excitement and sense of accomplishment that I once enjoyed. Work had always been my escape, and I could bury this malaise with projects and challenges. But now I need to deal with it. I have learned that I have not hidden this condition as well as I thought I had over the years, and that it affects the morale of those around me. No great leadership lesson here, just that a negative affect in the workplace can be far more influential than a positive one! I can no longer kid myself believing that I compensate with the other attributes I bring - I and those around me are diminished peculiarly by this phenomenon, it cannot be ameliorated.





3 comments:

  1. For what it's worth, I'm glad you were born. Even though I know you had an incredibly horrible childhood, I'm glad that I'm lucky enough to call you my dad, and to be sitting here on this couch next to you.
    I know you must be so lonely, and I do try to make up for this not-so-great household now, because I want to make sure at least some of your life is filled with happy memories. I don't want you to do something rash like your mother did (I'm sorry if that sounds rude, I meant no harm) because if you died, I don't know what I would do with myself. It's a selfish thought, I know, but I really do enjoy your company. I don't think you know how happy it makes me when I would come home and see a rental car in the driveway because I knew it was you, and I was so happy because I certainly missed you very much. Or when I do something that's not really a big deal, but you still tell me I did a good job.
    I try very hard to make you smile, because when you're happy, I'm happy.
    I love you very much. And someday, I will buy you the most amazing car ever. (Although it'll probably be when you're 80! XDD Hopefully by then hovercars would have been invented, and sold to the masses.)
    Also, sorry for the huge run-on sentences.
    ~Sindi

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sindi, you are an angel. This had me in tears!
    Your father is loved dearly and he knows it.

    X

    ReplyDelete