Monday, August 17, 2015

Teddy



Teddy
 
I am doing a series of posts on some of the folks in the DRC who really stepped up and helped me compete the projects we did this summer. They are a wonderful group, and I am glad I now have the time to introduce some of them to you.
 
Teddy is the president of the Mole/Moraine Valley English Club. He was one of the first persons I met in the camp and eventually became my number one nemesis on the basketball court. He is a great leader who inspires his team. Teddy also is very motivated to continue to learn and grow as a professional while continuing his service to others. The work we accomplished in the camp this summer would not have happened without his leadership.
 
Teddy wants to be a mortician - I am not sure how someone develops the interest in mortuary science, but I am sure he would be great at it. I am constantly surprised at the range of goals and dreams I encounter in places like this refugee camp - people are people and will continue to improve themselves no matter how far the journey. He is very intelligent and works extremely hard on his English skills. He has that rare combination of vision and attention to detail that will take him far in life.
 
I was very happy to know that I would be leaving the fate of our summer programs in Teddy's hands and those of his team. Sustainability is large issue in the development field, and often programs fail at that critical juncture. I have every confidence that Teddy will not let that happen, given that he has adopted a very familiar motto for his club:
 
Consistency, Follow-Through, Will Power
 
Teddy's only down fall is his over inflated sense of his basketball abilities, more specifically, his trash talking acumen. We are working on it though.




No comments:

Post a Comment