Thursday, May 28, 2015

Testing Ramadan, Rain Gear, And Timetables

Today was a preparation day and I had a lot on my mind as I woke up this morning. First, it had occurred to me yesterday that Ramadan would soon be upon us. Second, I had also realized that I am drinking about a half gallon of water each day. On MWFS, I will be at the camp where we move around a great bit and it is very warm. On TTH, I will need to walk to local schools in town. It began to dawn on me that this will be a very challenging holy season! That pleases me though as I have a great deal to for and this purification process will be rigorous.
I decided to walk to the various schools to figure out my timing. I suspected the furthest school would be about 45 minutes out. I headed out in the late morning, rain gear in tow in the case of an unexpected shower. I also was a bit concerned that one of the schools might have misunderstood me and might have thought we began today. Backpack and water loaded, I headed out.
I was pleasantly surprised when I reached the most distant school after a 30 minute brisk walk. I "bon jour"ed myself half to death, but the smiles were worth it. When I arrived a the Nzulu school, I was dismayed that they had prepared for me and I was too late for the students. I apologized to the headmaster who was very understanding. He laughed and told me that he thought Americans were always on time. I laughed as well and told him he didn't know the half of it. He rounded up the participating teachers though and we had a good, impromptu first session. They warmed up slowly, asked great questions. and we got the program started in the right direction. After about 90 minutes, I headed back to the UN compound. The clouds were rolling in though.
The headmaster walked me to the edge of the compound as I began to put on my rain jacket. I had bought it, my hat, and shoes at REI with help from a kind faculty member and her husband. Almost as soon as I left, the wind came followed two minutes later by torrential rain. As I walked, there were fewer and fewer people and vehicles out. It was refreshing and a welcome respite from the heat of the morning. A few times, a UN car came by and ask if I wanted a lift. When I said no, the drivers smiled (having come to know me this past week) and pressed on. A half an hour later I arrived at the UN site soaked from my waist to my ankles. The rain gear had held up well and I was very happy. I know that I can traverse the town freely in any weather, and that I will be able to hold up to the hefty demands of Ramadan when the time comes. I am looking forward to everything the next six weeks brings.

The teachers from local schools who will participate in the Teaching and Learning Academy.

5 comments:

  1. Michael, this is so great. Betty, Hortencia, and Carmela and Grant, we love pic!

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are good guys! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes Michael I agree! Ramadan during the long, hot summer days is quite challenging but remember that Allah is most merciful and makes exemptions in the Qur’an for those who cannot fast, but also presents alternatives, which include us in the whole Ramadan experience:

    "But if any of you is ill, or on a journey, the prescribed number (of Ramadan days) should be made up from days later. For those who cannot do this except with hardship is a ransom: the feeding of one that is indigent.... Allah intends every ease for you; He does not want to put you to difficulties...." - Qur'an 2:184-185

    Do you have Muslim students/teachers in your class? Check out Larry Ferlazzo’s, “The Best ESL Sites to Teach and Learn About Ramadan.”

    Luv the pics. Keep 'em comin'

    Salam,
    Manal K. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am preparing, cutting down my water intake during the day. I will be fine, thank you for your concern :) There are some Muslims and there is actually a public discussion about letting more Muslim families into the camp. Interesting times! I will check out the website, thanks

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think that thanks for the valuabe information and insights you have so provided here. Internet-Ressource Regenjacken

    ReplyDelete