Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Up Country Tomorrow


My few days in the comfort of Kinshasa are almost at an end. Tomorrow I will fly north on a UNHCR charter flight then maybe catch a boat for the camp. I say maybe because there is always a degree of ambiguity here, and I don't mind it at all. If and when I do get on the boat, Bryce assures me it will be an incredibly beautiful journey up the Ubangi River. I am very excited about getting to the post, and the uncertainty just adds more flavor.
I couldn't be more thrilled with Bryce's vision for this project - I understand it and buy in wholeheartedly while he is giving me the latitude to develop it my own way. I love being on the ground negotiating educational programs and the thought of blazing new trails in this area (refugee education) is really a dream fulfillment for me. I can't wait to get there and suss things out. I know I will find eager and intelligent students and teachers who will enjoy a few different perspectives on their educational experiences. There has been a great deal of groundwork laid by Bryce and his staff so I am not starting at zero. Much like a conversation we had the other day, I feel like Mt. Everest rather than Mt. Kilimanjaro - Everest being a mountain on top of mountains, Kilimanjaro being a free standing mountain.
I am glad I have two months for this adventure, time to evaluate, plan, cooperate, laugh, and write. I am getting paid to do this?  :)

3 comments:

  1. btw, Michael, the "speed" in my "Godspeed" is a relative commodity. Glad you're back on track to your destination!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Greetings Michael! Glad you arrived safely, "Alhamdallah ala-Salamtak" Hope your flight/boat ride to the camp is a pleasant one. Looking forward to reading about your first ESL class with the refugee students. Be Safe!

    Manal K. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jeff and Manal - things are going well :)

    ReplyDelete