Sunday, May 24, 2015

My UN Home Away From Home

I am living in the small village of Zongo, just across the river from Bangui, the capital of the Central African Republic. Here in the village, I am quartered at the UNHCR facilities.
It is a nice compound with lots of helpful and friendly staff. I contribute to the food fund and have my breakfast and dinner prepared for me. The food is local and great!  I am anxiously awaiting fufu, or ugali in Swahili, an African staple.
My apartment is the door to the left with the screen door open.
Very cozy and somewhat untidy as I haven't yet finished settling in. There is AC and plenty of fresh water (not hot or running, but fresh). I am very comfortable here :)

4 comments:

  1. I keep smiling as I read your posts. I love the pictures and I hope to see you in more photos. Enjoy your latest, greatest adventure! This is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Lisa, things are going better than I could hope :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam, Michael! How was the fufu? Better than mashed potatoes and gravy? Bring home some exotic recipes, especially desserts.
    Be safe,
    Manal K :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haven't had fufu yet, but it is on the menu :) It is called ugali in Tanzania and I am looking forward to it. A local woman cooks for me and the food is great (too much, but great)

    ReplyDelete