Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ramadan 1433 - Mudeera Saghera and Mudeera Kabeera

I am very sure I will be doing many posts about my friends and colleagues in the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Academy during this holy month. I don't think I have worked with such a group that had the density of integrity, compassion, and dedication of these 30+ teachers from humble schools in Jordan. Of these wonderful professionals, two always come to my mind first, Mudeera Saghera (MS - the Little Boss) and Mudeera Kabeera (MK - the Big Boss). MS and MK teach at the same school, have equal levels of passion and fire (manifested differently though), and are about a foot apart in height!
When I designed the academy experience, I had hoped there would be individuals who would step up and carry if forward so that the whole adventure would not be dependent on me. To my great pleasure, many of the teachers did so, but none more so than these two ladies. The academy is alive and well now, and these two help keep their peers involved and energized. When I think of how little they are paid, how difficult their day to day circumstances are, and how easily their talents could have taken them anywhere but the refugee camps they work in, I am truly humbled. True of all of the teachers in this group, even more remarkable in these two given the extra work and love they have poured into this simple mechanism that has come to mean so much to so many.
MK is a force of nature - I once called  her a hurricane in a teacup, not because she gets angry, simply that her energy fills any space she inhabits. She frowns and smiles alternately, as her brain moves at light speed between challenges and solutions. She has more drive than most anyone I know, including myself! She balances her family, work, and extra-curricular activities well, and I know that has not been easy. I would hate to have to keep up with her in any context. MK has created a blog and Facebook page for the group (amazingly on a few of her networking activities) that has kept the group in touch and motivated. She wears her heart on her sleeve and I really do not know how she does all of this for her family and for the academy family, but I thank Allah the she found her way to our group - our guardian angel.
MS approaches the world in a much different way, being shorter and younger (sorry MK), she has created her own influence in more creative and subtle ways. She is very speculative, and I often accuse her of being a philosopher, which she quickly denies but probably secretly admits. MS is a juggler too, balancing her teaching, the academy, and her school work while managing to cope with her twin sister. She is very meticulous in many ways, from her dress to the slow and measured cadence she delivers her words when she finally is ready to do so. Often the most diminutive in the room, she commands respect though as she thinks and speaks well, and is clearly motivated by an honest and open heart. Early on in the academy, I knew she would be the person I would ask to lead the small leadership team that would be so crucial to the future of our project - she has done a great job since, and I have had a lot of fun watching her manage things. She may not be a mother yet, more like a younger aunt who keeps everyone in line with a serious demeanor and the beginnings of playful smile always threatening to spread from the corner of her lips.
I have been blessed to work with these two lovely young ladies, and I am tempted to let them go thinking that it was I who has helped them in some way. The truth is I have learned so much about motivation and dignity from them, and I couldn't imagine this academy without them.
Mudeera Kabeera
Mudeeras Saghera and Kabeera

1 comment:

  1. One day both of them will be great Mudeerat, so hopefully it won't be too long for that .

    It is more than sweet of you" professor" to send such a lovely post

    The stranger .

    ReplyDelete