Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ramadan 1433 - Two Jordanian Little Brothers


I have met a lot of great guys in Jordan, especially while working with the Academy group we started eight months ago. When I saw this picture below for the first time, it struck me that these two characters (the term used in the best possible way) would be like my younger brothers. Ahmad and Sultan are two very active members of this group, but are two very different men. I enjoy their company, and together "they make one fine human being" - an old joke from a movie I like.
I have spent a lot of time with these two men, and have observed them in their schools - I was struck immediately by how much they cared for their students, and what great role models they were for those young boys who have a lot of challenges ahead of them. They were like two older uncles, kind and caring each in their own way, and I know the boys looked up to them. I don't think I had those skills when I was their age.
Ahmad is the more serious, sober brother. He is very earnest in the classroom in a very caring way. He is also extremely diligent, and proceeds very carefully and deliberately. He makes his way around the classroom gently but firmly, reassuring his students often. I am always amazed at his good natured personality, and his sincere responses, even when I am kidding him. He has a very pure heart, and is very considerate to others.
Sultan is equally caring, but is the more outwardly (and maybe inwardly) passionate of the two. If we were the Brothers Karamazov, he would be Dmitri, at least in spirit. He has a great deal of energy and it always shows or is just under the surface. This wellspring of intensity serves him well in the classroom - he manages to utilize it to keep the boys engaged and interested, and more importantly, awake. I have marveled at his advocacy for some issues since I have known him, and it amuses me to think sometimes how he must keep all of that fire under control. He does though, to the great benefit of his school and the academy.Sultan is also extremely loyal (as is Ahmad), a very rare and precious quality these days.
So yeah, they are like my younger brothers, and like most older brothers, I am very proud of them. When I started this academy I hoped there would be great teachers and great humanitarians in the group - there were many of both, including these two fine gentlemen.  Someone does need to tell Sultan though that he has my sweater on.................


 
Me and my two younger brothers, Ahmad and Sultan

4 comments:

  1. The HERO and his two stars " The wise-man...Sultan
    and Mr.Ahmad .

    Wish you all the best wherever you go & May Allah keep this wonderful smile on your faces .

    The Stranger

    ReplyDelete
  2. So, we all agree that this Academy has successfully created this great group of leaders.

    Though Ahmad is a bit little different from Sultan, but seeing them together tells how "P" and "E" can definitely meet and always surprise the world with their courage and creativity..

    Am really proud for meeting both of you as great brothers in the Academy family :)


    Your little sis :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. both ahmad and sultan deserve all our greetings . sultan , my brother , we will all miss u . wish u all the best in ur new job

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for the nice words big bro .... i wish u good where ever u r dear Bassem!.

    ReplyDelete